Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Real-estalking Part I - Six of the best

I write many, many blog posts in my head, however, very few make it to the world wide web. I'm here now though, so let's get started.
Red Hill and Paddington have lots 'o pretty houses, and I wanted to share six of my favourites with you. In the process of doing this I've realised not all houses are photogenic, especially with my camera skills, and the appeal of other houses relies heavily on their positioning.
I would consider moving for this house. It's in a row of four similar houses, all relatively untouched and separated only by a debacle from the sixties. Isn't it lovely. I wouldn't change a thing. Probably.

This house above is another in the same row as the first house. It has beautiful leadlight windows, and sits opposite the laneway to the house pictured two down (with the conifers).
This lovely lady above is not necessarily one of my favs, but it represents the well maintained Queenslander - one that hasn't strayed from its origins, or been tampered with too much. It's just a beautiful family home, gracious in its 'unpretentiousness'.
This house above and the one below are both new houses, and proof that a new build doesn't have to be harsh or hideous. The pistachio coloured beauty above is about ten years old.
As for the photo below, it's a bad picture of a great house which has been built on an awkward block. I really didn't take the photo at the best angle, but trust me its fabulous.
This house above is pretty as a picture. It's all white and has beautiful ironwork gates. It looks like a cottage, but looks can be deceiving when it comes to the size of these houses on sloping blocks.
As an added bonus, may I also show you what would have been one of the best houses in the neighbourhood, had it not befallen an 'accident' a few years ago now. It sits under the Paddington water tower and has an incredible view across town. It has been in its decayed state for many years now. It's for sale if anyone is interested, the details are here.

We have been keeping an eye on the house below. I'm not sure what its story is or whether it is inhabited at the moment? It reminds me of a nuns' house for some reason. The unusual brick structure at the back is an extension to the timber Queenslander at the front.

8 comments:

  1. Timber houses are very few and far between from where I'm from. When I first moved to Brisbane, it was the weatherboard houses that first captured my attention and I'm completely in love with them. Glad to know I'm not the only one "stalking" out there. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are a very beautiful style of house, and unique to Queensland, and certainly worth preserving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd move for that house too! Love a good real estalking post! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mind is wondering ... what happened to the apricot coloured house? Did it fall off the back of a truck ... removalists truck?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some of these houses are gorgeous, I especially love the gate and entrance to the one at the top, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful collection of Brisbane houses - I love the pistachio coloured one best of all - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete