Friday, February 7, 2014

WALES, WALTS, King Ferns and Concrete Parrots

Oops! Five months have just accidentally slipped by without me updating the Old Girl. We've been busy doing lots of things, house-related and not. Tomorrow some electricians will be here and they'll be connecting the power to the downstairs rooms. So excited! Power points will go on, lights will go up, it's going to be a revolution! It seems like we've been shuffling around down there in the dark forever and this will suddenly make things a lot more civilised.
I have started working full-time. I know! It's actually been a lot easier than I thought it would be. I enjoy getting dressed up and going off into the world, although as I friend of mine says, it's only been a month.
I've been wearing heels, clothes that actually have some shape. I do my hair every morning and paint my face like a geisha. I work as a writer for a property investment company. I love what I do, although sometimes I feel everyone around me is talking Dutch; dividends, unlisted trusts, asset realisations, WALEs and WALTs, everything is an acronym. I'll get a handle on it eventually.
I refuse to feel guilty for working. I'm not here all the time for my daughters, but I think it's also important to set a good example for them. I want them to grow up and have careers and interests of their own. I think it will be very important particularly for their generation. I don't think girls their age are necessarily going to want to grow up 'and get married and have children'.
Already, with my own friends and colleagues, I know so many women who are in their 40s and single by choice. It really isn't unusual anymore. 
Here's a concrete parrot I bought at Woolloongabba Antiques recently. For twenty clams I couldn't in all honesty leave the little sweetie behind. Isn't he adorable. He's happiness-inducing.

 Speaking of which, I was reading recently that Retail Therapy is a real thing, and buying stuff will make you happy, so there. I knew that all along, but some people were doubters.
My mother grew me this king fern from when it was nothing more than a baby frond. It's been in my care for about three weeks and so far, so good. It's very refreshing to have some greenery around. I hope I can maintain the round-the-clock care that ferns demand.
Tomorrow my sisters and I are surprising our mother for her birthday with tickets to see Dolly Parton. I'd love to see Dolly, but only if I could click my fingers and have her sing to me in my own lounge room. I'm not one for large car parks and crowds, all those things involved with seeing live concerts.
A friend gave me this vintage flamingo tin for Christmas. She got it on-line from the US. I love it. I was talking to another friend about decorating motifs. She's got a sixth sense when it comes to this sort of thing. She's been onto flamingos for years, and pineapples and about six months ago she predicted the onset of toucans, which has now come to bear......just wait, you'll notice them everywhere now.
My older daughter is 10 this year which means the secondary schools all need the proper paperwork and applications filled out for year 7 in 2017. She has already been accepted into one school and to secure that place we now have to pay a $1000 non refundable deposit by the end of February. Meanwhile, we are waiting to hear from another school, however, that won't be until the end of March. This means we'll have to pay the deposit at the first school, just in case the second one doesn't come through - it's quite the racket.
The girls have just chosen the colours for their bedrooms. Peaches chose a baby soft pink, or at least that's what we thought. On the walls it's more vile fairy floss, but anyway, we can work with it. She's been banned from putting anything else pink in her room though.
Mims is half painted, it's a lovely quiet, rich cream colour.
Out in the main room.....
....we're not having much clarity with the colour, despite hauling every visitor we get in front of the colour swatch wall and demanding they pick one.
Maybe I should throw a dart.
Is Shapelle out yet?

5 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Congratulations on return to the workforce - isn't it great to dress up every day once more? That red bird is the business - I'd have had it if I'd been to W'gabba first :) Flamingo tin is just gorgeous and that is a beautiful fern. We get caught out every time with paint - it is never the same as the paint chart, or the test patch. Good luck, your house is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Good to see you back. The house is looking fantastic. I know the full-time working feeling. A full-time writing gig is pretty brilliant. You'll soon get the hang of the lingo. I'd like to know what's after toucans. As for highschools, it is a rort. I'm sure if you didn't pay the $1000.00 at the first school, but then ended up wanting to go there, they'd still let you in. Competition is huge between these institutions so don't let them make you feel like you owe them something. I was required to pay $1500.00 deposit for one school, didn't do so and, despite not doing so, the school still thought we were intent on coming. I had to ring them and tell them we were going elsewhere and to stop sending me their newsletters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the house and well done re the full time gig! happy you are back blogging xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you are back. Love reading your blog. Your tiles are just stunning ... can't wait to see the room fully finished. Well done on returning to full time work ... I don't know how you mums manage. I am a single by choice over 40 and admire all mums who work part time or full time. I don't know how you do it when I can barely organise myself every day. Look forward to reading more soon.
    Nik

    ReplyDelete
  5. The king fern is breathtaking. Would be nice to see some of your work outfits! Paddo mum x

    ReplyDelete