Monday, May 21, 2012

One pot wonders

Here's a one pot wonder for you. It's my own invention, a Frankenstein dish that's been influenced by a dozen other recipes. It's delicious and easy, in fact a monkey could do it. If you're capable of putting things in a dish and turning on the oven, grab a pen and write down this recipe.
It's all in the layering. Firstly, get a large baking dish and put in some chicken pieces. I bought a whole chicken and cut it up, so some pieces had bones and other's didn't.
I then tucked some little peeled onions and sweet potato in the gaps, along with some garlic cloves. I cut up a couple of chorizo sausages and sprinkled them over the top. Splashed it with some olive oil, threw in some lemon wedges and layed some sprigs of rosemary on top. Voila!
Then bake it at 180 for about an hour. About 10 minutes before it's ready, add some chunks of sour dough bread. I half dip my pieces in the pan juices then throw them on top.
Serve with a very simple green salad.

Over the weekend I also caramelized some onions. Finely slice about three large onions and cook them over a low heat with a little bit of olive oil for about 20 minutes, until they've gone very soft. Then add in two tablespoons of vinegar (red wine, white wine, balsamic, whatever) and two tablespoons of soft brown sugar, plus half a cup of water. Cook for a further five minutes and bottle. It's great with roast meat and on sandwiches.

To finish my bake off, at the recommendation of a blog reader, I made Donna Hay's Lemon Yoghurt Cake. Delish! It's very easy, and refreshingly, it doesn't have half a kilo of butter in it.
Ingredients
3/4 cup vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
2 eggs
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
2 tablespooons lemon juice
1 cup thick natural yoghurt
1 3/4 cups caster sugar
2 cups s r flour

Set the oven at 180. Place the oil, eggs, rind, lemon juice, yoghurt and sugar in a bowl and mix. Sift over the flour and stir til smooth. Pour into a greased 24cm fluted ring tin and back for 35 minutes (mine had to cook for closer to an hour), until a skewer comes out clean.
You can make an icing for it by gently stiring together 3/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup lemon juice and pouring over the cake. We had ours plain though with a little double cream.

Speaking of olive oil. We buy ours in bulk like this, which is great if you make a lot of houmous or pesto or tapenade, etc. I know this is Spanish and you should buy Australian, but I was highly motivated by the tin, which I want to eventually put a plant in.
Last night while we were waiting for the dinner to cook, the girls and I made this garland. We used a thousand pieces of fabric and tied them onto  piece of string. Then we tossed it over their curtain rod. It turned out quite nifty I think?

1 comment:

  1. I see you made Donna Hay's lemon yoghurt cake ... its yum isn't it? and soooo easy too! Will give your chicken chorizo dish a go (you should call it ChiCho).
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete