Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Anything's possible

Well it is when you have a stocked fridge, freezer and pantry.
We have been whooping it up for the past week, as far as dinner goes. I've made roast chicken with homemade coleslaw - a classic! For the coleslaw use half whole egg mayo and half Greek yogurt so it is a bit more refreshing. I chopped my coleslaw and carrot in the food processor and it came out looking identical to the Colonel's, sans the half cup of sugar they must put in theirs.
I've also whipped up a good old retro-licious apricot chicken and pea and ham soup. Still to come is a super vege lasagne, and a shepherd's pie made with lamb not beef. We eat a lot of nursery-style food (as Nigella calls it) around here. That's soft, simple food that maybe a four year old would love, but I don't know why I bother. I may as well cook the food I love, hot coconuty curries and sour Vietnamese salads.
I made lemon butter with some nobbly lemons bought off a little old man on Mt Tamborine.

 A little known fact about lemon butter, is that it is traditionally eaten with a spoon straight from the jar, ideally whilst standing at the open fridge.
The girls and I made these vegemite scrolly rolls. They are just like a cheese and vegemite sandwhich but in a different format, and they take 1/100th of the time to get into a lunchbox in the mornings.
Mim tells me she much prefers these to sandwiches because sandwiches are so....um....'Australian'. I think all my talk of marrying one of them off to Prince Christian of Denmark may be rubbing off.
That's not all, we made these little apple and cinnamon muffins for lunches too.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to perform my dance of the Crazy Working Mother.

8 comments:

  1. Love,love,love lemon butter. Always eat it straight from the jar whilst standing by the fridge.

    Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the coleslaw tip - it sounds just perfect.Oh, and I always make sheperds pie with lamb and you have to have it with HP sauce too!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it's lemon butter, I won't bother taking it out of the fridge.

    I'll get in the fridge with it and consume it in situ. Anything for lemon butter.

    Thank you, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another tip for your coleslaw ... add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice ... it adds to that "fresh" taste. I would describe your cooking as "comfort food" ... Yummmmmmy.
    Nik

    ReplyDelete
  5. de-lurking to say if the nobbly lemons were actually old fashioned bush lemons they are THE BEST for lemon butter

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, yes, the lemons were bush lemons. If I can just sound like a 90 year old for a minute, the two important things for CWA-worthy lemon butter is to a) strain your eggs b) put in loads of finely grated zest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! Bought some lovely bush lemons from Dayboro yesterday. Lemon butter this week. Would love to try some little shortbreads and slather a spoonful on top - but may not last that long! Thanks so much for tips - will try! Cassie

    ReplyDelete