Friday, February 5, 2010

Persistence pays off
Late last year I was walking past one of my favourite shops on a mission to Woolies, when I was stopped in my tracks by a tres gorgeous chest of drawers. It had two large drawers and two smaller drawers, and the most intricate floral pattern on it with what I thought at the time was shell inlay.
I tried to ignore it, but it was futile. It beckoned me towards it, and against my will I pulled open one of the drawers and couldn't help but notice the smooth action and the craftsmanship. She wasn't just pretty, she was well built too.
It is very seldom, if ever, that I buy a brand new piece of furniture, but subconsciously I'd already placed and styled it in my own home. I glanced at the price tag, ready to justify it, and ....gasp, my eyes nearly fell from their sockets....$4,500!!!!! Completely out of the question.
I pushed the drawer back in suddenly and walked away at a pace, just stopping short of blocking my vision with my hand.  I had to get as far away from this Medusa as possible, and pretend I'd never seen her.
Oh, I tried to push her from my mind, but again and again I went back to admire her decorative surface, until one day, thank the heavens, she was gone. Gone to someone else's house, and thankfully, on someone else's Visa card.
Sold though she might have been, she was not forgotten. Did I happen to mention I do have a special talent, and that is one for research. I researched this bejewelling creature like there was no tomorrow, and at last my search met with a happy end.
This may be your happy end too, because I am selling one of these chest of drawers on Ebay at the moment. Her number is 330401990177. The inlay is not shell, but in fact camel bone. And my price is not $4,500, but $1950, less than half the retail price.

For those of you who missed my last post, I have started listing everything on Ebay and my id is watermelonstarlet.
As that koala used to say, 'where ever there's a will, there's a way'.

No comments:

Post a Comment