Problem solvered. Re, my problem stools, I had an idea to use the front door colour, some of which I have left over. This idea seemed the most popular amongst everyone, which gave me the confidence to 'give it a shot'.
Today I took the leftover Sensual Red which is an aqua enamel (water based enamel). To this I added some leftover White aqua enamel. Gave the tin a little shake.....and got this. I think it's a very satisfying, sugary enough shade of domesticus pinkus horribilus.
This is technically only the first coat, but I thought it was photo ready enough. Not too sure what to call the new colour. Stool sample?
Soon I will tackle the 'safety orange' stool which needs sanding first.
I took the unused spray cans of orange back to the shop and they happily swapped them for me, sans receipt, for a gloss white and a gloss black.
The paint shop I go to, which I can't recommend highly enough, is the Paint Place at Milton. I can't remember the name of the street, but they are opposite that famous burger 'restaurant' (and I use that term loosely). They are incredibly helpful, and ridiculously patient with all my stupid questions.
In the next couple of days I am tarting up some old photo frames, using my new black and white spray packs.
We'll see how that goes. While my intentions and ideas are wildly heady, unfortunately my hand skills remain ordinary, at best.