Friday, February 17, 2012

Petty grievances

I've just been reading through a list of Australia's 40 wealthiest people - not an uplifting past time, let me tell you. The top three are Gina Rinehart, below, worth $18 billion, Ivan Glasenberg $7.2 billion and Andrew Forrest worth $5.3 billion. All three have made their money from mining.
Can someone please explain to me how and why individuals can profit so exclusively from something made by the earth over millions of years? How can that belong to individual people? How can that resource be a single person's to sell for their own personal gain? It really bugs me. I think that's very wrong.
Whilst I'm on the subject of things that annoy me, the Sunday Mail was just sniffing around up at Ashgrove, finding out what the 'little people' think of Campbell Newman. The reporter was busily scribbling down quotes from people who really had little to say. For example, he asked one lady if she thought Can Do could win the seat. 'Only time will tell', she said. Indeed. How insightful.
On the subject of Can Do, I'll say just one thing - I'm not wrapped with public displays of affection, they make me suspicious.
And, quickly before I go.... I don't like beeping at green lights if you're a millisecond too slow taking off, people who walk along texting and you have to move out of their way, people who can't make tiny decisions on their own and have to make a phone call ('no they're out of OMO, should I get Biozet?), people who pay for a sausage roll with their credit card, people who don't return books (because usually they're your favourites). Worrying, I could go on, but I think I'll go and have a lie down instead.

3 comments:

  1. So agree - tax the buggers !

    P.S. Keep Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good day to take a Bex and a have a little lie down!
    (something my grandfather was often heard to say)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hands are stinging....from applauding you and this post so much! Well said and bravo.

    ReplyDelete